Friday, October 17, 2008

Emotion intelligence + work with older people

Long time no blog!!!!...too many midterms and assignments to defeat! anyways...the E.I test and working with old people assessments were quite interesting! i actually never thought about how high my E.I would score. I was quite surprised it was over 120. And i personally like to work with older people, because most of them are fun and have positive attitudes, and they would definitely help me to gain more knowledge in different areas that i might have neglected. I believe that their past experiences would earn me great preparations for my future career path as well!! =) And i just remembered that i had once volunteered in a Senior Center, and all of the elderly were friendly and fun to talk to, so i believe that i would have no problems communicating with older people in my future work place.

I'm a really relationship-oriented person, because i tend to care about how others feel and think first, then i would start thinking about the work or tasks. I just think that having good relationships with others would help me reduce the intensity of the whole team, so that everyone can work in a more friendly and relax environment. I would say that i prefer a flexible and free working style, but still consider task as a major factor. I would like to work in an organizational culture that every employee cares about each other, and the company should have a decentralized structure, so almost all levels of management have chances to interact with each other, so there is actually less "CLASS DIFFERENTIATION". This actually reminds me of the Marketing director i interviewed last weekend, who mentioned about treating each other like family, and there's actually no "manager" when they work in a team, meaning that everyone works as a team while putting down their "positions" at that moment. I really wish i can work with the people who are willing to share any ideas or concerns as well. Instead of hiding everything that disappoints them...or working toward a goal that they don't believe or enjoy...i think it is better to clarify all the concerns so that the team can perform better.

I think i should improve by working as a task-oriented person more often, so i get a balance of these two working styles, shouldn't have too much empathy which influences my emotions of working. Because it is more difficult to get things done when everyone knows my weakness of empathizing others all the time, they might start to delay their work by making excuses.

No comments: