Saturday, November 29, 2008

Individual component of career project done!

When i was working on my individual part for the career project, i had really discovered lots of different things about myself, such as personalities, values and working styles. I thought it was really valuable and appealing to me because before taking this course, i did not conduct many personality tests to reflect how i perceive others or myself and my favorable working style etc. I had gained my knowledge on the personal traits and strengths i have which i believe would be helpful when i have interviews that need to present myself based on the strengths i have. I actually believed that the level of interest I have for my career would be the main factor that leads to my work motivation and performance, i had never actually try to identify my personality traits to see if I'm suitable for my ideal career, Marketing. I also have the opportunity for developing a basic network that might help me to get into this field as well.

Personal Conflict Management Strategies

When i have conflicts with friends/families, i tend to use the strategy of yielding/accommodating. Because i believe that if i have the ability to reduce the conflict level by sacrificing a bit of myself, i would be able to maintain the relationships. I think most of the conflicts i encounter, they don't usually last for so long and by using that approach, i would feel better for myself because that way it would be easier to reduce the conflict intensity and i usually want to have a good solution so there's nothing left over for me to worry about. On the other hand, if i got into conflicts with colleagues or group members, i usually try to aim for the problem solving strategy, because i want to have a good final output at the end, so if i don't take this approach, but forcing or avoiding the conflicts, i would end up tangling all my problems but never solving them. And by using forcing strategy especially, I'm being self-oriented,which means i don't value the others' benefits, and as a group, i should aim for gaining advantages for all members while solving problems logically. I'm not an ambitious or self-centered person who needs everyone to follow what i say or everything i say is right. I believe such person would have higher possibility of getting into conflicts, especially when working in a group. I always want to try not to react emotionally when i really see those people. But if i can't really control this situation and it gets worse, i tend to show all my dislikes toward such person without hiding, or even speak out what i really think about him or her. I hate to put up a fake mask and say "right, i agree with you and I'll do it" when i don't really mean it. i usually have my own way to express what i really think straightforwardly, instead of trying to please others. But in the business world, i know it is reasonable to stay within the boundary and say what is appropriate. So i really need to work on that by keeping my own belief or point of view at the same time, because i know by speaking without thinking how my words would affect others, i would be suffering in maintaining good relationships with employer and other colleagues.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments: